What’s the minimum tyre tread depth?
Tyre tread is so important there are legal structures in place to ensure every driver on New Zealand roads is driving a vehicle with safe tyres. Tyres with good tread depth will be capable of braking and stopping quicker than those without. In fact, the quality of the tyre makes a significant difference when it comes to stopping distance and grip, especially on wet roads. If you are worried your tyres aren’t up to a legal standard or just want to improve the quality and durability of them, talk to a specialist from Drury tyres today.
- You must choose tyres that are suitable for your vehicle and driving style. Different tyres are suited to different driving conditions. Talk to one of Drury’s specialists about how and where you drive regularly so that we can recommend the tyres you may need.
- Most tyre manufacturers recommend placing tyres with the best grip at the rear, whether the car is front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive. Fitting tyres with less traction to the rear of the vehicle can result in oversteer and loss of control.
- It’s best to change tyres in pairs (front and back) to maintain stable handling and increase the longevity of the tyres.
- Check your tyres regularly to make sure you have enough tread.
- The more aggressive you drive, corner and brake, the less efficient your tyres will be over time.
What is the legal minimum?
The minimum depth allowed is 1.5mm, but the more tread you have, the better the grip and the safer you will be.
Since your tyres are the only part of the car that grips the road, the tread depth of your tyres is very important to the safety of your car. Checking the tread depth of a tyre is easy and only takes a few minutes. You can use a tyre tread depth gauge yourself or come to Drury Tires and we’d be happy to check. The minimum allowable tread depth of 1.5mm is for all major grooves that contain these moulded tread depth indicators around the entire circumference of the tyre.
At Drury Tires, we stock a wide range of budget to performance tyres to suit all of Auckland’s driver’s needs. So, get in touch with us today to discuss purchasing new or used tyres that are perfect for your vehicle for a safe and smooth 2022.